I was born and raised on the island of Oahu, half the time living in town and the other half spent in Ewa Beach. I grew up the local way… eating spam musubi, popping fireworks at New Year’s, and complaining about traffic on the H1. As a young boy I looked forward to the day I would leave the islands and call the mainland home. While I did call the frozen north (Minnesota) home for five years, as I grew older I realized my love for Hawaii – its food, people, lifestyle, weather, and culture. I came back to Honolulu in 2016 to be among friends and family once again.
The Food Blogger.
I love food. I love exploring new flavors and ingredients. I want chefs to challenge my palate. I want food to tell a story, to convey emotion, to form a memory I will retain for years to come. Nowadays I travel specifically to places where I also want to eat and hope to continue adding to the list of my culinary experiences around the world.
I started taking photos and blogging about my dining experiences in Honolulu back in 2007, way before it was cool to be a food blogger. Over the years I’ve progressed from a Canon PowerShot to full DSLR photography. Now I’m on the mirrorless bandwagon, but still shooting in RAW.
Over the year’s I’ve written short pieces for a few publications online. Those pieces include (starting with the most recent):
- Vintage Cave Cafe (March 27, 2017)
- Gen Korean BBQ (March 13, 2017)
- Something New: KatsuMidori Sushi (January 17, 2017)
- Food Trends I Hope Will Thrive (January 16, 2017)
- My Top 5 Standouts from Senia’s Chef Tasting Menu (January 9, 2017)
- Sandcastle at Lake Nokomis (July 10, 2013)
- John Ng and Lina Goh of Zen Box Izakaya (May 29, 2013)
- Aqua in White Bear Lake and Forest Lake (May 13, 2013)
- Smack Shack in Minneapolis (April 29, 2013)
- Kangaroo – From Australia to Hell’s Kitchen’s Menu (April 24, 2013)
- Shady Grove in Ellsworth, Wisconsin (April 15, 2013)
- Sushi Fix in Wayzata (April 8, 2013)
My food photos, amateur as they are, have been fortunate to appear in several online and print publications. These publications include Food & Wine Magazine, Savuer, AFAR Travel Magazine, Eater, Heavy Table, and Frolic Hawaii. I archive photos from most of my notable meals on Flickr. You can view those albums here.
This site was created so I could have a place to aggregate my posts on various topics. However, as the name implies I’ll be mostly writing about my thoughts* on different restaurant experiences both at home and abroad. I blog to compile my thoughts and experiences, but also to share them with others.
Thank you for visiting. I hope you find here at least one thing of interest!
*Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not reflect those of my employer(s) or business partners.